[ltp] Re: What to take care of when buying a Lenovo?

Vincent C Jones linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:57:08 -0400

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 22:53 +0800, Donald P Kong wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 12:01 +0100,
> linux-thinkpad-request@linux-thinkpad.org wrote:
>
> > Message: 25
> > Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 01:20:36 +0100
> > From: Christoph Lechleitner <lech@ibcl.at>
> > To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
> > Subject: Re: [ltp] What to take care of when buying a Lenovo?
> >
> > > My brand-new T61p is 1920x1200 without a glossy screen, and it runs
> > > bee-yootiful with Ubuntu, straight out of the box. EVERYTHING just
> > > worked perfectly (nvidia drivers autodetected, suspend/resume,
> > > hibernate, sound and wireless).
> >
> > That's odd, hibernate (AKA suspend to disk) do not work for most Ubuntu
> > users including me, WLAN and volume control are known to be erratic,
> > there are some discussions and launchpad entries on these bits.
> >
> > What are the versions of your BIOS and kernel please?
> > (BIOS: See at boot time, Kernel: uname -a)
> >
> > Regards Christoph
>
> on my X61 when it was running Ubuntu 7.10, everything worked except the
> Fn+F7 for switching screens. no docking station to try out the dock
> features. WLAN was sometimes flaky (known issue on Launchpad on other
> laptops besides Thinkpads).
>
> BIOS is latest from Lenovo v2.05. kernel was 2.6.22
>
> Donald P Kong

I assume either the reference to X61 or to v2.05 is a typo? Latest BIOS
for the X61 on Lenovo's web site is 2.07 (1/28/08), and upgrade to at
least 2.06 is critical unless you like running in cripple mode with
irqfixup enabled.

Version 7NETA7WW (2.07)

      * (New) Support for the models with new microprocessors. (BIOS)
      * (New) Microcode updates of the processors. (BIOS)

Version 7NETA6WW (2.06)

      * (New) Added the new error code 1830 to indicate that a single
        DIMM is not installed in the memory slot 0. Solution for the
        error code: With a single DIMM, install the DIMM into the memory
        slot 0 (a slot different from having used it). (BIOS)
      * (Fix) Unexpected interrupts from the USB controller may occur.
        (BIOS)
      * (Fix) When a certain HDD User Password is set, re-boot may fail.
        (BIOS)

As always, your mileage may vary...

Vince