[ltp] SOT: Konqueror & Firefox slow to take text on Thinkpad (not Opera)

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:58:27 -0700

Hi All,

Sorry for the Slightly OT post, but I'm running out of ideas about
this.

I use Kubuntu Feisty on a T60 (4G ram, so no memory problems) and my
favorite browser is Konqeror.  However, after about a day after a
re-start, both Konqy and FF2 (but never Opera) get very slow to
accept keystrokes in the URL slot or in filling forms.  The CPU is
usually idle, and once they start accepting text, they behave
normally, but if I switch windows and then come back, they again take
~4-5s (K) to 2-3s(FF) to respond again.
They are not slow to load pages once the page is requested and
scrolling takes place at normal speed unless I try to type which then
inhibits the scrolling until the text is accepted.  Just the key
input is affected, and ONLY those 2 apps are affected in that way.

KMail is sometimes affected in a similar way - it will start to slow
down in the acceptance of keystrokes so I can outtype the screen
updates, but that's rare and seems to be unrelated.

I've submitted bug reports to Ubuntu and KDE, but to no avail, and
I've not seen it on other hardware, so I thought it might be hardware
or thinkpad related.

Any others seeing this?

--
Cheers, Harry
Harry J Mangalam -  949 285 4487(c) (email for fax)