[ltp] Fn-F5 CLI or GUI access to Bluetooth, WAN, WWAN

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 10:55:59 -0400

Has anyone figured out a way to hook Fn-F5 to something that allows me
to enable Bluetooth, WAN and/or WWAN via CLI (curses/dialog) or GUI
(gtk, tcl, Qt)?

I have an X61s (WinXP) and a T61p (Linux) that I'd love to be able to
enable and activate the WWAN cards within, but I can't do that because
the "stock" Fn-F5 action is to enable/disable Bluetooth only.

A possible alternative solution, though not ideal...

My X61s currently runs WinXP and its internal WWAN card is activated and
works with XP. If I can't get WWAN activated and working inside Linux,
is it possible to create an ad-hoc WAN between Linux laptop and the XP
laptop, and route all traffic through WWAN on the XP side? Has anyone
done this before?

The end-game would be to have Linux running on both machines, but right
now, I can only convert one of them, until I know for sure that I can
get WWAN working in Linux on both machines.

TIA for any help anyone can provide.

--
David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com