[ltp] Fn-F5 CLI or GUI access to Bluetooth, WAN, WWAN

Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:20:34 -0300

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> Has anyone figured out a way to hook Fn-F5 to something that allows me
> to enable Bluetooth, WAN and/or WWAN via CLI (curses/dialog) or GUI
> (gtk, tcl, Qt)?

acpid can hook any script to fn-f5.  So can HAL (and HAL could do something
else like issuing dbus requests).  Any daemon listening to the thinkpad-acpi
input device can also know when fn+f5 is pressed (look for EV_KEY KEY_RADIO
events).

You will need to write the relevant scripts/programs and HAL glue (or tie
them to acpid, but HAL is better for GUI stuff).

Your programs, then, will have to do the calls needed to enable/disable the
radios you want to mess with.

And it is all documented in thinkpad-acpi, acpid and HAL documentation, so
there is no need to figure out anything. But one *will* have to do all the
grunt work, AFAIK nobody wrote something like the Fn+F5 thinkvantage screen
yet for Linux.

> I have an X61s (WinXP) and a T61p (Linux) that I'd love to be able to
> enable and activate the WWAN cards within, but I can't do that because
> the "stock" Fn-F5 action is to enable/disable Bluetooth only.

I have no idea about Windows.  In Linux you can reprogram Fn+F5 to do
whatever you want.

  Henrique Holschuh