[ltp] VESA at 1600x1200 (was: T60 lockups (ACPI?))

Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:21:40 +0000

David A. Desrosiers wrote:

>> The machine is a T60p, which has been running Ubuntu Feisty fairly
>> reliably for 6 months. (I'm using the VESA driver, so no weird
>> proprietary things either)
>
> Slight tangent... but how did you get the VESA driver to do ANYTHING
> other than 640x480?
>
> I tried everything I could think of; adding custom modelines, tweaking
> VertRefresh/HorizRefresh and everything else I could think of... nothing
> seemed to work. No matter what I did, the VESA driver seems hard-coded
> for 640x480, max.

That's odd. The vesa driver can certainly do higher res - I use it at
1600x1200. The Ubuntu LiveCD seems to go for 1024x768. Do also check
whether xrandr can help.

Here are the relevant bits of my xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
         Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. ATI Default Card"
         Driver          "vesa"          #Works, but slow
#       Driver          "fglrx"         #ATI proprietary
         BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
         Option          "DPMS"
         DisplaySize 304 228     #width, height in mm.
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier      "Default Screen"
         Device          "ATI Technologies, Inc. ATI Default Card"
         Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
         DefaultDepth    24
         SubSection "Display"
                 Depth           24
                 Modes           "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768"
"800x600" "640x480"
         EndSubSection
EndSection

That's really all I did. Note that the vesa driver doesn't even have 2D
acceleration, so vertical-scrolling is slightly sluggish. Get into the
habit of using PgDn rather than mousewheel, and you'll never notice.

Richard