[ltp] Changing console font

Haines Brown linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:56:46 -0400

I'm running sidux on a Thinkpad X61s, but am quite new to laptops.

As a power-saving measure, it strikes me that I would gain from
working from a console rather than start the X server. Generally I can
run the apps I need and do useful work from console, but the default
font is rather challenging in that it is too small and grey ("white")
rather than "bright white". On my desktop the console is fine, but the
small screen of the Thinkpad is a serious challenge.

I've done some reading about consolechars, but frankly it goes over my
head, and I'm paranoid about killing all glyphs and end up being
unable to recover.

Is there a simple howto or can anyone offer a straightforward set of
directions for changing the default console font to something bigger
and whiter (or even black on white background)?

Would someone recommend a console font that is very readable?

Am I correct that such a change would also change the fonts used to
display the boot process, but would have no effect whatsoever on apps
running under X, such as a (fluxbox) window manager or graphical
terminal emulators (xterm, rxvt, etc.)?

Haines Brown