[ltp] any successes with 2.5 inch laptop-IDE-drive USB enclosures?

Pablo Vera linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:40:59 -0600

--------------030207050905060309080709

Since the 2.5 enclosures draw power from the USB port, I've found that
sometimes one USB port is not enough to power up the drive, in which
case I get a lot of errors.  Some enclosures come with a Y split cable
so that you can plug it into two USB ports.  In this manner the
enclosure will have double the power and will be able to power up the drive.

Does your enclosure has a Y split cable ?, what is the power rating for
the drive ?

One USB port = 500 mA
Two USB ports = 1000 mA = 1 Amp

I have a low cost, no brand, bought in eBay 2.5 enclosure with a low
power 80 GB Toshiba drive and it always works with one USB port.  But
I've also tested on this same enclosure other drives that required two
USB ports to work properly.  All the drives I've tried have worked.

Pablo

John Lumby wrote:
> I recently tried attaching several of my regular laptop IDE drives via
> two different models of 2.5 usb enclosure and both enclosures failed
> to be able to read the disk's partition table for a Toshiba 40GB
> drive.     The two enclosures were
>  a Vantec nexstar which lsusb identified as having  a Bus 004 Device
> 013: ID 067b:2506 Prolific Technology, Inc.  controller
>  a coolermaster ??  (forget model) which lsusb identified as having  a
> Bus 004 Device 016: ID 048d:8903 Integrated Technology Express, Inc.
> controller
>
> In all cases the usb-storage was able to read the drive attributes and
> size etc but then eventually (after a long time and messages about
> sense key 0) came back with
>      unknown partition table
>
> This is a working drive that has a partition table and which runs just
> fine inside the machine.
>
> I tried on two different thinkpads - T23 USB1 and T42 USB2 and same
> each time.     Recent kernels - 2.6.22 and 2.6.24
>
> Both controllers were able to read the partition table on one much
> older 30GB drive, but it's the 40GB one that I want.
>
> I also tried adding the specs for the ID 067b:2506 Prolific
> Technology, Inc.  controller into unusual_devs.h and rebuilding the
> kernel with the libusual support (which I confess I don't understand)
> but no difference.
>
> Does anyone have any positive experiences of any 2.5inch usb enclosure
> successfully accessing a variety (or any recent) 2.5 inch IDE drives
> on thinkpads of this type?    Or anyone know of any problems or fixes
> or other relevant information?     I've lost my first battle but would
> like to make a comeback ...
>
> John

> Hunt for a chance to win a Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder! Click here to
> enter <http://g.msn.ca/ca55/211>

--------------030207050905060309080709

<head>
</head>
Since the 2.5 enclosures draw power from the USB port, I've found that
sometimes one USB port is not enough to power up the drive, in which
case I get a lot of errors.&nbsp; Some enclosures come with a Y split cable
so that you can plug it into two USB ports.&nbsp; In this manner the
enclosure will have double the power and will be able to power up the
drive.<br>
Does your enclosure has a Y split cable ?, what is the power rating for
the drive ?<br>
One USB port = 500 mA<br>
Two USB ports = 1000 mA = 1 Amp<br>
I have a low cost, no brand, bought in eBay 2.5 enclosure with a low
power 80 GB Toshiba drive and it always works with one USB port.&nbsp; But
I've also tested on this same enclosure other drives that required two
USB ports to work properly.&nbsp; All the drives I've tried have worked.<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">
Pablo
</pre>
John Lumby wrote:
 type="cite">
 .hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
drives via two different models of 2.5 usb enclosure and both
enclosures failed to be able to read the disk's partition table for a
Toshiba 40GB drive.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The two enclosures were<br>
&nbsp;a Vantec nexstar which lsusb identified as having&nbsp; a Bus 004 Device
013: ID 067b:2506 Prolific Technology, Inc.&nbsp; controller<br>
&nbsp;a coolermaster ??&nbsp; (forget model) which lsusb identified as having&nbsp; a
Bus 004 Device 016: ID 048d:8903 Integrated Technology Express, Inc.&nbsp;
controller<br>
In all cases the usb-storage was able to read the drive attributes and
size etc but then eventually (after a long time and messages about
sense key 0) came back with<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; unknown partition table<br>
This is a working drive that has a partition table and which runs just
fine inside the machine.<br>
I tried on two different thinkpads - T23 USB1 and T42 USB2 and same
each time.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Recent kernels - 2.6.22 and 2.6.24<br>
Both controllers were able to read the partition table on one much
older 30GB drive, but it's the 40GB one that I want.<br>
I also tried adding the specs for the ID 067b:2506 Prolific Technology,
Inc.&nbsp; controller into unusual_devs.h and rebuilding the kernel with the
libusual support (which I confess I don't understand) but no difference.<br>
Does anyone have any positive experiences of any 2.5inch usb enclosure
successfully accessing a variety (or any recent) 2.5 inch IDE drives on
thinkpads of this type?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Or anyone know of any problems or fixes or
other relevant information?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I've lost my first battle but would
like to make a comeback ...<br>
John<br>
  <hr>Hunt for a chance to win a Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder! <a
 moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://g.msn.ca/ca55/211" target="_new">Click
here to enter</a></blockquote>

--------------030207050905060309080709--