[ltp] Re: T61, Lenovo quality, Linux pre-installed, alternatives

Elias Oltmanns linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 08 May 2008 20:04:32 +0200

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> 1. battery only lasts about 5-6 hours for me compared to more than 7
>> hours on windows vista.
>
>> 2. area around fingerprint sensor gets too warm.
>
> The second probably explain a large part of the first.
>
> I've added the lines below to my /etc/sysfs.conf file for the same kind
> of reasons.  IIRC it saved me more than 1W on my T60:
>
>    # Hopefully, this is the fingerprint reader, which somehow isn't put
>    # into auto-suspend mode automatically by the 2.6.23 kernel :-(
>    bus/usb/devices/4-2/power/level = auto

I'd strongly suggest to use an udev rule for that purpose. This might be
a bit tricky and since I don't have a fingerprint reader, I can't
provide you with a working (tested) example. Still, the ordering in
which usb devices appear on the bus is by no means stable.

Regards,

Elias