[ltp] Re: T61, Lenovo quality, Linux pre-installed, alternatives

Christoph Lechleitner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 08 May 2008 20:46:32 +0200

>>    # Hopefully, this is the fingerprint reader, which somehow isn't put
>>    # into auto-suspend mode automatically by the 2.6.23 kernel :-(
>>    bus/usb/devices/4-2/power/level = auto
>
> I'd strongly suggest to use an udev rule for that purpose. This might be
> a bit tricky and since I don't have a fingerprint reader, I can't
> provide you with a working (tested) example. Still, the ordering in
> which usb devices appear on the bus is by no means stable.

I use this snippet in my /etc/init.d/boot.local (I do some stuff there):

FPRDEV=$(/bin/grep -l "Biometric Coprocessor" \
  /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/product |cut -f1-6 -d'/' )
test -z "$FPRDEV" || echo "off">$FPRDEV/power/level

I am not sure if "off" works, I'll tell in a few hours.
Btw., ...
  echo off >$FPRDEV/power/level
... not the same as ...
  echo "off">$FPRDEV/power/level
... because the first variant might inlcude a space and a line break to
the o and the two f.

Regards Christoph