[ltp] Hardy on T61 has few annoying issues...

Petar Milin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 10 May 2008 11:21:46 +0200

Hello ALL!
I have T61 (NH3DCAX: Intel Core 2 Duo T8300, 2.40GHz, 15.4", nVidia
Quadro etc.). Recently I installed Hardy Heron on it, following basic
instructions on ThinkWiki, and doing two-three updates meanwhile.
Everything works fine except few quite annoying things:

First, although I followed exactly links:
(a)
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_7.10_(Gutsy_Gibbon)_on_a_ThinkPad_T61#How_to_Suspend_with_nVidia_140m.2F570m
which precedes:
(b)
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_8.04_(Hardy_Heron)_on_a_ThinkPad_T61#Suspend_with_Nv140m
Suspend is not stable. Sometimes I got only blinking cursor in the
upper-left corner. It could be that this happens when my TP is not
plugged in power, but running on battery.

Second, I use three keyboard layouts: GBr, Svn, SRB. After adding NVIDIA
graphic driver, from System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers, I
setup /etc/X11/xorg.conf, adding:
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"kbd"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"gb,si,cs"
	Option		"XkbOptions" "grp:lshift_rshift_toggle"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Trackpoint"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"EmulateWheel"          "true"
	Option		"EmulateWheelButton"    "2"
EndSection
Upper for keyboard, and lower for track point. But, neither I can toggle
with both shifts, nor use mid-button to scroll, as with wheel.

Third, after last update, Evolution is asking for "Password for default
keyring to unlock", when I start it for the first time. When I supply my
SUDO password, Evolution behaves normally.

In conclusion, if anyone could help me with this issues, and give me
some hints/tips/advices, I would be very grateful. I do not know why
those things happened, but it seems to my that Hardy behaves
unpredictably and unstable.

Please, again, help!

Best,
PM