[ltp] Is 3D possible on FireGL 5250?

Bill Moseley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 25 May 2008 08:14:17 -0700

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 10:46:08PM +0100, Phil Shotton wrote:
> I've grabbed the experimental packages Alex mentions below (see
> http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9951) and they seem to
> work fine. glxgears gives around 2,000 fps (was about 850 without 3d
> acceleration).

These installation instructions worked perfectly and were easy to
complete.  I get about 2400 in glxgears.  (I think I was getting a
higher number with the old ATI fglrx driver.)

But, I can't complain with working 3D, mplayer working, and it even
sleeps.  Bravo!

> Haven't tried compiz or anything, but general use everything feels just
> a bit snappier. Suspend to ram works fine, but only if I undock first
> (this was also a problem with earlier driver and is probably nothing to
> do with the video drivers).

Yes Compiz doesn't work.  Is that because no AIGLX or Xgl?
Compiz was nice eyecandy (and always fun to demo right after the
Leopard showed off their cool eyecandy).

Two questions:

1) Is there a list where I can follow development of the driver?
Interested to know when I should update again.

2) Can anyone point me to a page that explains the components I just
installled? ;)  There seems to be a number of drivers and modules
working together and I'm not sure what they all do....

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org