[ltp] Only 3 out of 4 GB detected

Cherife Li linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 31 May 2008 00:21:33 +0800

On 05/31/08 00:56, Laurent Gilson wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>>  If it's a *60 and you have the Intel integrated graphics, then there
>>> is nothing you can do (except upgrade to a *61); there's a hardware
>>> limitation in those machines that they can only address 3G of RAM.
>> Which type of hardware limitation?
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60#Miscellaneous => footnote
>
> The 945 chipset can adress 4GB maximum. 4GB - IO-Space - gfx = 3GB
> usable RAM. Also see http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/945pm/index.htm

The question is why his system just shows 3 out of 4 GB RAM.
Do you mean the 3GB is usable and so the system shows this amount of RAM?
But the IO-space and gfx also use the memory, by the system, aren't they?
> The 965 can do 8GB (even in 32Bit mode). Sinc ethe IO-Space and gfx
> takes about 1GB and you cannot install more then 4GB RAM => no
> limits. See http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/P965/index.htm

Ah, So *61s can only support a max 4GB RAM?
But I saw that HP is selling laptops (965 chipset) with 8GB RAM.
>> Has anyone tried to enable HIGHMEM64G support in kernel on *60s?
>
> Lots of people have....
That's fine. :-)

Anyway, thanks for pointing these out.
> cu