[ltp] Only 3 out of 4 GB detected

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 May 2008 18:38:13 +0200

Hi,

> The question is why his system just shows 3 out of 4 GB RAM.

Cause it cannot adress more.

> Do you mean the 3GB is usable and so the system shows this amount of RAM?
> But the IO-space and gfx also use the memory, by the system, aren't they?

The 945M has 4GB adressspace to work with. It has to contain IO-spaces
(PCI, DMA and other long forgotten stuff), gfx-RAM and the real normal
RAM. Dune to this limitation you cannot go past ~3GB usuable RAM on a
945M board. No CPU-extension can get past this.

=> http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm

>> The 965 can do 8GB (even in 32Bit mode). Sinc ethe IO-Space and gfx
>> takes about 1GB and you cannot install more then 4GB RAM => no
>> limits. See http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/P965/index.htm
>>
> Ah, So *61s can only support a max 4GB RAM?

The 61 have Intel 965M chipsets and 2 SoDimm Slots. You can install
4GB (2x2GB since the 4GB-modules are not available yet) and use
them (using PAE, aka bigmem or 64Bit kernels). In the future with
real 4GB SoDimms you can install 8GB and use around 7GB.

> But I saw that HP is selling laptops (965 chipset) with 8GB RAM.

Dell sells a lot of 4GB systemes with 32Bit Vista (Vista does not
do PAE and is limited to 4GB adressspace => 3GB or less usable).
HP did the same thing with some workstations and starts doing it
on notebooks now.

People will buy anything.

cu