[ltp] Ubuntu 8.10 w/ T60p and FireGL 5250

Bill Moseley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 12:20:49 -0800

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 09:47:55AM -0600, gervin23@fastmail.fm wrote:
> I have the exact setup you do and 8.10 fixed all my video problems. Make
> sure you start fresh by renaming /etc/X11/xorg.conf to something else as
> backup. This lets the latest X do its auto-configure magic which in this
> case chooses the open source radeon driver.

Here's my report:

I upgraded yesterday and all went smoothly.  Probably easiest upgrade
ever on this laptop.

For some reason the Network Manager applet didn't start, and I had
seen on the Ubuntu user's list others with the same problem so it was
not unexpected.  But, once I rebooted a second time the applet started
fine.

Video detection worked great, too.  Ubuntu offered to install
the fglrx, but I declined.  Installing fglrx has not worked out for me
in the past.

Suspend to memory works.  Sometimes there are some screen artifacts
after a resume but minor.

Dual screen works great.  Ubuntu realized I didn't have a "Virtual"
screen size to support the dual screens so it created an xorg.conf
file with the settings and asked me to re-login.  Nice.

Compiz seems to work well.  Again, when I enable with "Visual Effects"
it will say I need the fglrx driver, but it works fine w/o that
driver.  Even in dual screen mode (and the cube turns into an
octagon).

One problem with compiz enabled is I cannot play video in either
Mplayer or Totem Movie Player.  Mplayer says:

    X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

which I see others have had similar problems with Compiz and Beryl.
Not sure if there's a way to reserve memory for video playback.

I tried to setup Ekiga, but it keeps hanging when detecting my
microphone.  I am able to record with my built-in mic -- but it's
pretty low priority at this time.  I'd like to get video conferencing
working, but I'd need a camera.  Not to mention friends that don't use
iChat. ;)

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org