[ltp] Ubuntu 8.10 w/ T60p and FireGL 5250

Sun, 02 Nov 2008 20:34:28 +0000

Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 09:47:55AM -0600, gervin23@fastmail.fm wrote:
>> I have the exact setup you do and 8.10 fixed all my video problems. Make
>> sure you start fresh by renaming /etc/X11/xorg.conf to something else as
>> backup. This lets the latest X do its auto-configure magic which in this
>> case chooses the open source radeon driver.
>
> Here's my report:
>
> I upgraded yesterday and all went smoothly.  Probably easiest upgrade
> ever on this laptop.

Glad to hear that. I might try it out on my T60p too...
How fast is it? (there was a slashdot article 2 days ago, showing
benchmarks that, on the same hardware, Ibex is much slower than Feisty)

> One problem with compiz enabled is I cannot play video in either
> Mplayer or Totem Movie Player.  Mplayer says:
>
>     X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

Can you try playing the the -vo option?
see:  mplayer -vo help

At a guess, you haven't enough *video* ram to support all of:
   - the available pixels
   - on both screens
   - in 24-bit colour
   - with double-buffering for 3D accel (compiz etc)
   - with (perhaps) more double-buffering for mplayer.

> which I see others have had similar problems with Compiz and Beryl.
> Not sure if there's a way to reserve memory for video playback.
>
> I tried to setup Ekiga, but it keeps hanging when detecting my
> microphone.  I am able to record with my built-in mic -- but it's
> pretty low priority at this time.  I'd like to get video conferencing
> working, but I'd need a camera.  Not to mention friends that don't use
> iChat. ;)

Are you using pulseaudio or not?

Does stracing it give anything helpful;
launch from terminal:   strace ekiga

Workaround: use the oss mode (/dev/dsp). OSS compat stuff works with
pratically everything. The downside is no shared access to the device
from multiple programs. You can skip the Ekiga setup "druid", and then
manually do the setup: don't detect the mic; tell it where to look.

HTH,

Richard