[ltp] Ubuntu Intrepid: Thinkpad T61 with keyboard lockups.

Thomas Adam linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 23:56:30 +0000

Hello --

2008/11/2 Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk>:
> It still could be. I don't understand the  X internals, but imagine that
> some misbehaving app A has a keyboard grab such that A has the focus, but
> isn't reading from the keypress queue. So, your keypresses qet queued, and X
> knows where they should go, once A has released the kb.

No, this isn't how grabs work in X11.  If a window A, implements
XGrabKeyboard() then all keyboard input is assigned to that window --
this is also irrespective of mouse focus away from that window.  No
queueing is done outside of that to other windows if the mouse focus
shifts.  Keyboard events get sent to that window -- but again, this
isn't happening in my case.  (I do a lot of xlib stuff in my spare
time, FWIW.  :P)

> Do try the experiment.

I humoured you, with nothing open but two XTerms, and it just happened again.

-- Thomas Adam