[ltp] Ubuntu Intrepid: Thinkpad T61 with keyboard lockups.

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 00:27:14 +0000

> 2008/11/2 Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk>:
>> It still could be. I don't understand the  X internals, but imagine that
>> some misbehaving app A has a keyboard grab such that A has the focus, but
>> isn't reading from the keypress queue. So, your keypresses qet queued, and X
>> knows where they should go, once A has released the kb.
>
> No, this isn't how grabs work in X11.  If a window A, implements
> XGrabKeyboard() then all keyboard input is assigned to that window --
> this is also irrespective of mouse focus away from that window.  No
> queueing is done outside of that to other windows if the mouse focus
> shifts.  Keyboard events get sent to that window -- but again, this
> isn't happening in my case.  (I do a lot of xlib stuff in my spare
> time, FWIW.  :P)
>
>> Do try the experiment.
>
> I humoured you, with nothing open but two XTerms, and it just happened again.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate an authoritative explanation, and I
stand corrected. I have seen such behaviour with the mouse before(*), so
I guessed it might affect the KB too.

* On wakeup from screensaver, sometimes xscreensaver doesn't seem to
release the mouse pointer. I assumed that the de-activated process had
failed to release the mouse - though it's possible that it had just left
the pointer invisible.

Out of curiosity, does the swap-to-VT1;swap-to-Vt7 trick work?

Richard