[ltp] Re: thinkpad_ec fails to load on Thinkpad T500

Dominik Stadler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 17:03:47 +0100

Hi,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:32:23 +0100
> Von: "Dominik Stadler" <Dominik.Stadler@gmx.at>
> An: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
> Betreff: [ltp] Re: thinkpad_ec fails to load on Thinkpad T500

> I am hit by this as well (Kubuntu 8.10 on a Lenovo Thinkpad T500). Can you
> describe the "quirk" quickly so I could try to use it unless the
> discussion about who is responsible and how a full fix looks like is done?
>
> Thanks for you efforts... Dominik.

For anyone who is interested, I was desperate to get this working in order to avoid starting to charge the battery all the time via the charge-levels provided by tp-smapi.

In the end I managed to get this working by simply commenting out the "return <error>" statement that follows the check for the io port range with "request_region()" in thinpad_ec.c.

When compiling and installing this new module I am able to fully use tp-smapi and also hdaps on my Thinkpad T500, I could not find anything that does not work there right now.

I know this is probably dangerous, but it seems to work. Any comment if there is anything immediately broken when doing this?

Thanks... Dominik.