[ltp] X60 overheating, temperatures at full speed

martin kot linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 2 Oct 2008 13:51:14 +0200

Hi guys,

I have my Thinkpad X60 sent in for service because it was shutting
down after overheating. Essentially the cpu temperature approached
105C and it shutdown automatically. The IBM repair center changed the
motherboard and I got the computer back. Running some stress tests
showed that the temperature still is quite high if both cores run at
full frequency and are 100% utilized. I experienced temperatures from
96-104C before shutdown, although this time it took longer (several
hours, maybe a day) before it occured.

I would therefore kindly request if someone with an X60 could do a
simple stress test for a few minutes to see what the temperatures
usually are. What I did was:

- Made sure that the computer was running at full speed. Set to full
performance in BIOS, cat /proc/cpuinfo showed max speed at full
utilization
- Installed cpuburn, and ran burnP6 twice to fully utilize both cores
- Ran top, pressed 1 to show both cores and made sure that both were at 100%.
- Checked periodically the temperature with: cat
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM*/temperature

Don't bother if you have a X60s, it's quite a different matter :) My
X60 has a T2400 (1.83Gz) installed, but slower/faster cpu-s in this
model shouldn't make a big difference. I have a stock 2.6.22 kernel
from Debian/Lenny. Thanks.

--
Martin