[ltp] Re: Linux kernel instability? (Rant/Panic/Cry-for-help!)

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 02 Oct 2008 09:46:26 -0400

>>> My T60 thinkpad uses Vesa rather than fglrx. We aren't using WiFi
>> Have you found it more reliable than the "radeonhd"?
> I spent a long time with it getting very cross about random crashes, which
> I originally attributed to fglrx. Then I swapped to vesa, and still got
> crashes (lockup every few days). BIOS update seems to have cured it, but I'm
> not certain yet. The vesa driver is fine in most circumstances, excepting
> that it doesn't support newer widescreens.

So you'll probably want to switch over to the "radeonhd" driver.
It's very much like "vesa" except with RandR-1.2 and should support the
weirder screen sizes.  The only downside (for me anyway) is that the
brightness keys don't work any more (the workaround is to switch to
a text console, change brightness there and go back to the X console).

        Stefan