[ltp] Thinkpad X300 Debian Lenny report

Sun, 12 Oct 2008 18:06:43 +0200

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 19:42:13 -0400, Norman Ramsey wrote:

[...]

>   * tpb brightness buttons do not work: they change the OSD, but
>     not the backlight.  I'm using xbacklight on the command line,
>     which works perfectly, but I would really like to figure out how
>     to program those buttons to (say) xbacklight -dec 10 and so on.

On my X61s, thinkpad-acpi is able to send input events for the
brightness keys, so that you can bind those keys to the corresponding
xbacklight command in you desktop environment/window manager.

You can check if such input events are sent by running xev and pressing
those keys. Then, bind these event codes to a proper key binding using
xmodmap. The ~/.Xmodmap on my X61s is configured like this:

keycode 101 = XF86MonBrightnessDown
keycode 212 = XF86KbdBrightnessUp

>   * I haven't been able to get any of the various fan-control regimes
>     to work.  The fan spins consistently at 5000 RPM and is loud.

Eeek. Sounds like the situation got even worse compared to the X61s.
This seems to suffer from bad thermal design: even when noise doesn't
matter and I set the fan to run at full speed, it will just blow out
cold air whereas the right front part of the device gets somewhat warm
(no UMTS, fingerprint reader, wireless LAN and bluetooth disabled, only
light CPU load). Do you notice the same with the X300?

Regards,
Tino