[ltp] Thinkpad Dock II

Connor Behan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:50:32 -0400

Something I did to the Thinkpad Dock II yesterday, I can't imagine what,
made it start the laptop with a blank screen. The only way to use my
laptop if I turn it on while docked is to have an external monitor
plugged in. Once it starts, I can remove the monitor... the laptops LCD
is still what gets used. I tried resetting the BIOS but that didn't
help, so I'm very puzzled by this problem. The last thing I did while
the dock was working without an external monitor was try to cat one of
those "untouchable" virtual files. It was
/sys/module/snd_ac97_codec/parameters/power_save. Reading it caused my
console to become mangled with UTF8 characters and I rebooted my
computer to see that the dock's behaviour was permanently altered.

Anyway, even when the dock works and I can run lspci on my docked a22m,
I do not see the video card that I have plugged into the dock's PCI
slot.  Here is a link to my dmesg output http://pastebin.ca/1227350. It
says BAR 7, BAR 8 and BAR 9 cannot be allocated. Does anyone know how to
fix this? Recompiling the kernel, learning udev rules, changing boot
parameters... I'm willing to do it all if someone can guide me. So has
anyone used the Dock II PCI slot successfully with Linux before?