[ltp] Any reason why the recommended hotkey mask is 0x008c7fff on X60s

Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:40:28 -0300

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Damjan wrote:
> Is there any reason why the recommended (and the default) hotkey mask is
> 0x008c7fff on X60s.

Yes.

> With that mask, I don't get any events (ACPI or input) when the
> volume-up/down/mute buttons are pressed.

Because those keys are routed over the KDC (keyboard controler).  You don't
get them over ACPI, no matter what you do.  And if you are going to enable
thinkpad-acpi NVRAM pooling to get them, well, you're weird.

Look on thinkwiki or on the list archives for information on how to use
these keys.

And use the latest BIOS for your X60s.

> Also I don't get any events when the Brightness Up/Down or the Thiklight
> button is pressed.

Because brightness up/down is processed by ACPI video, the X server, and a
lot of stuff that is still in the process of being fixed for Intel embedded
graphics.  Anyway, it doesn't go through thinkpad-acpi for the newer Lenovo
BIOSes at all, except by *manual configuration* if you have to.

ThinkLight is disabled by default because it already does what it must in
firmware anyway, but you can enable it without any problems.

> The problem with that setup is that user-space gets no notificaion
> what-so-ever so to display an OSD or to notify the person using the
> laptop.

Why the heck would you need OSD for the *thinklight*?  It has its own user
feedback built-in.  It lights up when you enable it, and goes dark when you
disable it, after all...

As for the others: OSD for brightness is to be done by querying the proper
backlight control layers.  OSD for volume is to be done by querying the ALSA
mixers.

Proper OSD for volume on older thinkpads is not available yet, because I
haven't got around to providing an ALSA mixer yet.  This doesn't matter for
the X60 and newer.

  Henrique Holschuh