[ltp] T series, WIFI antennas built in?

axp linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:57:25 +0200

Nate Bargmann schrieb:

> On the T4x series, if the machine was shipped from IBM without the
> wireless miniPCI card, were the antennas built into the laptop anyway?
> So far I've not found a clear answer on this.  I see the cards all over
> eBay, but not antennas so I presume they were integral to the laptop.
>
> Also, are the antennas capable of both 802.11A and B operation?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Nate >>

i've got an T40p which has built in wireless (802.11ab Atheros), so if
you've got antennas you will most probably have a 2.4 & 5GHz band
support, don't get tricked by the two wires, which are currently only
main and aux antenna, to provide some kind of antenna diversity.

The easiest way to check if you've got wireless is to open your tp,
except if you are about to by one.

But my bet is that every Thinkpad (T-, X--Serie) has built in Antennas!

i once built in an wireless module for a friend of mine which has a X31
which was shipped without wireless and there were antennas built in, and
they sure have dual band antennas since building antennas for dualband
these days isn't that hard, especially if they are for 2 frequencies
which are different by the factor of 2 (lambda/4 .....).

you have to be careful to buy a IBM original if you won't have troubles,
since  ibm whitelist their hardware, so you can't build in any other
minipci card, although there are some bios patches lying around to get
at least the T4X[p] working with a non IBM minipci card, but i
encountered some power managment problems with a non IBM minipci card.

so far,
Ferdinand