[ltp] T series, WIFI antennas built in?

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:06:51 -0500

* axp <axp@shacknet.at> [2008 Oct 24 11:10 -0500]:

> i've got an T40p which has built in wireless (802.11ab Atheros), so if
> you've got antennas you will most probably have a 2.4 & 5GHz band
> support, don't get tricked by the two wires, which are currently only
> main and aux antenna, to provide some kind of antenna diversity.
>
> The easiest way to check if you've got wireless is to open your tp,
> except if you are about to by one.
>
> But my bet is that every Thinkpad (T-, X--Serie) has built in Antennas!

I can think of at least one exception that was pointed out to me by a
co-worker this morning.  A few years ago we both went through a company
sponsored A+ class and as part of the class materials received T42
laptops.  One of the members of his class received one without wireless
and that guy wound up installing the antennas in his.  Why he didn't
just get a PCMCIA card is another question.

I plan to open it up and check and if it lacks antenna leads I think
I'll just stick with my Linksys card.  I'm somehwat optimistic as the
Lenovo site shows my particular model, 2373-8RU, as wireless
upgradable.  I'm not sure if that means it just requires the mPCI card
or that all the other parts may be added later.  :-/

> you have to be careful to buy a IBM original if you won't have troubles,
> since  ibm whitelist their hardware, so you can't build in any other
> minipci card, although there are some bios patches lying around to get
> at least the T4X[p] working with a non IBM minipci card, but i
> encountered some power managment problems with a non IBM minipci card.

Yup.  I encountered that information on the Thinkwiki.

- Nate >>