[ltp] external DIGITAL monitor with ubuntu and intel i950 graphics

axp linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 03 Apr 2009 11:08:12 +0200

Volker Krueger wrote:
> Ahh, an add-on:
>
> I use the latest ubuntu intrepid and have now even updated to the newest
> beta of the intrepid-successor.
>
> And one more thing: I hear that the problems with the external screen
> are an i915 related problem. well, Suse has solved it, it seems, as
> under Suse 11.1, things work out of the box...
>
> Anyway, there must be a solution :-)
>

> Hi,
>
> has anyone managed to get an external digital monitor to run under
> ubuntu with the i950 graphics card?
> I would be fine with being able to turn of the internal monitor and just
> use the external one if it is available.

Iam having the x301, i think we do have the same graphics cars, mine at
least is th einteh X4500MHD, according to thinkwiki you've got the same.

i'm using a second monitor with 1680x1050 resolution plus the internal
display with the latest 9.04.

i did change my xorg.conf to:

Section "Device"
 Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
    Option "AccelMethod" "UXA"
#    Option "XvMC" "true"
EndSection

everythings working flawlessly now, even Option NoDRI isn't required
anymore, since the kernel doesn't get woken up by the dri stuff (libdrm2
and UXA)

so far,
Ferdinand