[ltp] X60 produces fuzzy VGA output in high resolutions - will Ultrabase help?

Tue, 07 Apr 2009 01:31:03 +0100

Karsten König wrote:

> My T400 drives a 22" 1680x1050 screen pretty fine using the advanced mini dock
> VGA, the same notebooks VGA output is rather mushy on the same screen and
> cable, so I guess the quality off the minidock is higher (can't provide real
> proof though)

 From an electronics perspective, there can't be much more in there than
a video-buffer. Maybe you could find some sort of booster, or even make
a circuit up with an op-amp.

I suspect that enhancing the vertical edges (by killing antialiasing)
will help.

Also, the xvidtune program lets you have fun with the various parameters
of the signal. (You're pretty unlikely to harm an LCD monitor with it,
though it is possible to set an old CRT on fire if you drive it wrongly
enough).

There is one other possibility, if you have another PC or an older
laptop. You can use X-forwarding to give yourself a second display
(programs execute on laptop 1, but show on the screen of PC 2). Use
x2x (via ssh) to have a single mouse/keyboard to control both.

Or, it's the USB/VGA fallback.
   http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddVGAAdapter

Richard