[ltp] S2D breaks S2RAM

Nils Faerber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:56:16 +0200

Vincent C Jones schrieb:
> On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 01:06 +0200, Florian Reitmeir wrote:

>>> Hmm, that's bad.  But we have to assume that whatever they use in the CDs
>>> work, so if we have something that turns a bootable CD iso into a bootable
>>> USB stick, that would work just as well, if not better.
>> booting the disc from an external usb cd-drive works fine
>
> Unfortunately not universally true. For example, the latest X61 BIOS
> upgrade appears to require an IDE CD drive (aka, docking station).

More specifically the culprit ist that the BIOS update is too large for
the ISO9660 bootarea which emulates a floppy disk, i.e. at max. 2.8 MB.
The BIOS image + DOS + utility does not fit. So you need access to the
full CDROM with ISO filesystem and USB CDROM driver. This is pitifully
not part of the disk image that Lenovo provides.
But it works for e.g. an embedded controller update where the image is
way smaller.

> Vincent C Jones
Cheers
  nils faerber

--
kernel concepts GbR      Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48  Fax: +49-271-771091-19