[ltp] Re: S2D breaks S2RAM

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:57:59 +0200

Nils Faerber <nils.faerber@kernelconcepts.de> writes:
> Vincent C Jones schrieb:
>
>> Unfortunately not universally true. For example, the latest X61 BIOS
>> upgrade appears to require an IDE CD drive (aka, docking station).
>
> More specifically the culprit ist that the BIOS update is too large for
> the ISO9660 bootarea which emulates a floppy disk, i.e. at max. 2.8 MB.
> The BIOS image + DOS + utility does not fit. So you need access to the
> full CDROM with ISO filesystem and USB CDROM driver. This is pitifully
> not part of the disk image that Lenovo provides.
> But it works for e.g. an embedded controller update where the image is
> way smaller.

Does the ThinkPad BIOS support booting a harddisk image off a CD?  You
can create such CDs using isolinux:
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/ISOLINUX#Can_I_boot_other_operatin=
g_systems_with_ISOLINUX.3F

Another idea, which I have *not* tested with BIOS udates myself yet:
How about PXE-booting a DOS harddisk image using pxelinux + memdisk?
See http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/MEMDISK

memdisk is a very nice utility. You can PXE-boot virtually anything. I
don't think I'll ever create a bootable DOS-disk again :-)

Bjørn