[ltp] Re: Thermal woes on Thinkpad T60p

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:04:05 +1000

Peter Lemken <ibm-thinkpad@bloatware.de> writes:

> finally managed to snatch a new T60p at a reasonable
> price. Manufactured in 2006 but left in some obscure dealer's stock
> until last month I got it with full 3 year on-site service until 2012.

I have a T61p, which has a CPU and GPU that consume more power than your
hardware should, at least on paper.  I also have nothing like the
temperature you mention.

[...]

> What is your experience with a T60p with regard to thermal problems?
> My GPU never runs colder than 75° and I can't say whether this is
> normal or not.

The NVIDIA GPU in my machine gets down to 60°, while mostly idle, but
75° is fairly common.  OTOH, it doesn't go too much above that either,
even in extremely hostile conditions.  (40°C air temperature)

> The current state of affairs is unacceptable and I wonder what needs
> to be done to have a reliable notebook for the next three years.

Get them to fix the problem, especially if you can cause a thermal
shutdown under Windows.

Regards,
        Daniel