[ltp] lenovo support for linux

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 04 Aug 2009 10:56:46 -0500

Florian Manschwetus wrote:
> Today I've had a call from Peter Reinhart (Lenovo Germany)
> He told me that lenovo gives absolutely NO support for linux related
> trouble with T60 or any other model which wasn't sold with linux
> preloaded. Furthermore the won't give any support for any thinkpad model
> used with a different OS than those available as preinstalled.

It's pretty much this way everywhere.

But... who besides IBM/Lenovo provides so many drivers for so many OSes
that they DIDN'T ship with the machine?

You can download Windows XP drivers for machines that shipped with
Win98. I can still get the DOS driver for my T60 for the CD-ROM drive,
the wired network interface, the PC card slot; as well as the DOS
configuration software. That's pretty serious support.

Further, I've gotten new BIOS releases for machines that are TEN YEARS
OLD. That's uncommonly good support.

Chris