[ltp] lenovo support for linux

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 20:56:58 -0500

* Florian Manschwetus <florianmanschwetus@gmx.de> [2009 Aug 04 12:10 -0500]:
> Am 04.08.2009 17:56, schrieb Chris Schumann:
>>
>> Further, I've gotten new BIOS releases for machines that are TEN YEARS
>> OLD. That's uncommonly good support.
> Yeah, that is my problem, I'm currently really attracted to buy my next
> notebook from another brand, but buying a different brand because of
> being disappointed from the current ones support, is a stupid plan, if
> it is sure that those support would be horrible...

I've always found the support from this list, Thinkpad Wiki, and the
Linux community to be much better than any vendor support I can recall
going back to my MS-DOS days of the early '90s.  I've installed Linux
on several different TP models over years, the most ornery being a
760ED with the mwave chip for which no Linux support was ever
forthcoming for its sound and modem capabilities.  With a 390e, T23,
T42 and T41 Linux support has been good with the T42 requiring a
proprietary driver for full speed use of its modem.  I've never felt
the need to contact IBM/Lenovo for an OS issue.

Getting warranty work done on the hardware would be a different matter
(I always buy used so when it breaks I have all the pieces) and if
Lenovo won't do warranty work without the original OS on the drive,
then I guess the solution is to buy another drive to put Linux on and
swap the drives when and if necessary.

Good luck, Florian.

- Nate >>