[ltp] Re: discharge prediction on new battery chronically wrong. Whose to blame?

Mark Stosberg linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 6 Dec 2009 21:19:21 -0500

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 18:27:23 -0700
Christos Papadopoulos <christos@CS.ColoState.EDU> wrote:

> How long did it last before it signaled complete discharge?  Did it get
> anywhere near the OEM battery when new?

Thanks for the reply. I think in all cases, it was reporting that I
should have something like an hour of battery left. Of course, I'm
never expecting it when it happens, so I haven't always recently checked
the battery status. I bought the laptop new, so I don't know what the
OEM battery would do. Although, the OEM batteries claim something like
7 hours and this once only even claims something like 4, according to Linux.

> Your problem sounds like the battery. This was a common failure mode
> for many of the third party batteries I bought. See if you can return
> it. My third party batteries lasted about a year at best, after that
> the battery would die in 30mins or so.

Thanks. Tonight I found the final straw that lead to returning it. the
battery is physically larger than OEM battery it doesn't snap into the dock!

The rubber pads on the battery were also very cheaply attached and both
came off the same day.

Now here's the related question: It's been sometime since the X41 was
new, so if I buy an OEM battery that is "new", isn't it likely that I'm
getting a battery that was manufactured several years ago and has been
degrading on a shelf since then?

     Mark