[ltp] T61 Suspends, won't restore

Steven King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 6 Dec 2009 22:02:35 -0800

On Sunday 06 December 2009 1:04:26 John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I have had my T61 for about a year and a half, always running Ubuntu
> x86_64. In all that time it will suspend when I close the lid, but when I
> open the lid it is stuck in suspend mode. The hard drive light runs a bit
> when I open the lid, but the keyboard and mouse are dead.
>
> Recently I installed a new hard disk and then installed Fedora 11.
> Unhappily, I get the same results.
>
> I have lived with this limiation long enough. I know this has been
> discussed here in the past, but I can't find the threads and solutions (if
> any). Can some kind soul point me in the right direction?

I used to have that problem with my X61 Tablet if tried to suspend & resume
after removing it from the dock.  The culprit there was the dvd drive in the
ultra-bay; I tried various solutions I found on the net such as sending a
command to scsi subsystem to logically disconnect the drive before undocking,
but the only thing I found to work was to physically remove the drive from the
bay, then I could dock & undock, suspend & resume as much as I wanted.  Since I
rarely used the drive, it wasnt a big deal.   However, the recent kernels seem
to have fixed that for me I can now suspend & resume after removing it from the
dock with a drive in the ultrabay.  So my first sugestion would be to make sure
you have the latest kernel, and if that doesnt work, try thinkwiki, they had
some discussion on the topic...

--
Steven King -- sfking at fdwdc dot com