[ltp] solid state drive?

Noah Dain linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 13:28:02 -0500

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Volker Krueger <vok@cvmi.aau.dk> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am interested in your comments on solid state drives?
> Does any one have experiences with cheaper non-lenovo drives?
> what is the speed and wattage? Can one actually save battery time with them?

I dropped a transcend 128GB ( TS128GSSD25S-M ) ssd in my T61,
replacing a 7200rpm WD scorpio.  Overall, couldn't be happier except
for one occasional quibble.  During heavy continuous write operations,
the drive can become rather unresponsive, sometimes for up to a minute
or so.  Typically, this happens during large package updates/upgrades
(ubuntu).

On the plus side, everything else is definitely superior to a typical
hdd with the exception of storage capacity, of course.  Most
operations are definitely quicker than with a 7200 rpm hdd, but not
anything earth-shattering.  Access times are nothing, and sequential
read throughput is massive.

I tend to consider it a "2nd generation" ssd.  The performance specs
are equal to or exceed the best hdd's out there for most use cases.  I
would consider Intel's ssd's 3rd gen (maybe 2.5?)

The first gens are what you'll find in eepc's and such.  No one wants
one of these (generally, they are slow and small, with limited
lifespans).

I'd say if you need large storage and/or do a lot of large write
operations, ssd's are definitely not for you right now.

However, you can find ssd's in 128GB sizes for somewhere between
$200-300 USD.  If that seems reasonable to you to get rid of spinning
magnetic media, by all means go for it.

-n