[ltp] sysrescue cd in hidden partition booting with the thinkvantage-button

Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:19:08 +0000

Phil Shotton wrote:

> Richard Neill wrote:
>> But these days, KQEMU or VMWare are both sufficiently good that you
>> needn't use a "real" install of Windows. Also, Wine handles a
>> surprising amount of software.
>>
>> Richard
>>
> The biggest problem I've had with VMWare (and I suspect KQEMU would be
> the same) is with applications using USB. For instance, to reflash my
> mobile phone, it has to be powered on while connected to USB and so to
> the updater software. This didn't work under VMWare even though once the
> phone was up and running the USB connection worked fine. I didn't
> investigate this thoroughly as I didn't want to brick my phone!

QEMU can do this by passing through a given USB device by
vendorid/productid. Try:
   -usbdevice "host:vendor_id:product_id"
lsusb will tell you what these are.

Note that many bits of hardware use more than one VID/PID depending on
the mode they are in.

Richard