[ltp] Windows/Super Key Mapping

Rob Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Jan 2009 00:47:26 -0600

------=_Part_29222_23446095.1232002046832

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk>wrote:

> Rob Smith wrote:
>
>> I've recently installed #!CrunchBang Linux on my X40 Thinkpad. This
>> machine does not have a Windows/Super key, and also does not have a Menu
>> key. In Windows, using an IBM applet, the mapping of the right Alt key could
>> be changed to pose as the Windows key. There are also two keys on either
>> side of the Up Arrow key.
>>
>> Has anyone successfully mapped any of these alternatives to act in the
>> same manner as the Windows key? #!CrunchBang uses the Super key in
>> coordination with other key presses as a shortcut to applications like
>> Xterm, Thunar, GEdit and such.
>>

> Before you do that, you might want to check out the normal functionality of
> AltGr. It's NOT "Right-Alt" in the same way that Ctrl and Shift have two
> equivalent keys; instead, it lets you type extra characters:
>  http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Accented_Characters
>
> For KDE and Gnome, you can use Alt-F2 to bring up a generic run-dialog -
> typing "Alt-F2 x t e r m  Enter" will do what you want. Probably OpenBox has
> an equivalent.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Richard
>
> --

Thanks for the reply Richard. I followed the link that you posted and tried
the AltGr thing in GEdit, but it does not seem to be working, as nothing
appeared in the buffer.

I'm not married to the right side Alt key, it is just that I noted something
being posted about that being how the issue was resolved in Windows on the
X40. I'd be happy to use one of those keys that are on either side of the Up
Arrow key for this purpose.

--
Rob Smith

Because software, like people, should be allowed to exist in an open,
sharing community, and not kept contained by corporate greed!

------=_Part_29222_23446095.1232002046832

Rob Smith wrote:<br>
I&#39;ve recently installed #!CrunchBang Linux on my X40 Thinkpad. This machine does not have a Windows/Super key, and also does not have a Menu key. In Windows, using an IBM applet, the mapping of the right Alt key could be changed to pose as the Windows key. There are also two keys on either side of the Up Arrow key.<br>

Has anyone successfully mapped any of these alternatives to act in the same manner as the Windows key? #!CrunchBang uses the Super key in coordination with other key presses as a shortcut to applications like Xterm, Thunar, GEdit and such.<br>

Before you do that, you might want to check out the normal functionality of AltGr. It&#39;s NOT &quot;Right-Alt&quot; in the same way that Ctrl and Shift have two equivalent keys; instead, it lets you type extra characters:<br>

&nbsp;<a href="http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Accented_Characters" target="_blank">http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Accented_Characters</a><br>
For KDE and Gnome, you can use Alt-F2 to bring up a generic run-dialog - typing &quot;Alt-F2 x t e r m &nbsp;Enter&quot; will do what you want. Probably OpenBox has an equivalent.<br>
Best wishes,<br>
Richard<br><font color="#888888">
-- <br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>

------=_Part_29222_23446095.1232002046832--