[ltp] Windows/Super Key Mapping

Thu, 15 Jan 2009 05:54:50 +0000

Rob Smith wrote:
> I've recently installed #!CrunchBang Linux on my X40 Thinkpad. This
> machine does not have a Windows/Super key, and also does not have a Menu
> key. In Windows, using an IBM applet, the mapping of the right Alt key
> could be changed to pose as the Windows key. There are also two keys on
> either side of the Up Arrow key.
>
> Has anyone successfully mapped any of these alternatives to act in the
> same manner as the Windows key? #!CrunchBang uses the Super key in
> coordination with other key presses as a shortcut to applications like
> Xterm, Thunar, GEdit and such.

Before you do that, you might want to check out the normal functionality
of AltGr. It's NOT "Right-Alt" in the same way that Ctrl and Shift have
two equivalent keys; instead, it lets you type extra characters:
  http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Accented_Characters

For KDE and Gnome, you can use Alt-F2 to bring up a generic run-dialog -
typing "Alt-F2 x t e r m  Enter" will do what you want. Probably OpenBox
has an equivalent.

Best wishes,

Richard