[ltp] battery questions

Micha Feigin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 18 Jan 2009 03:03:19 +0200

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 00:55:34 +0100
Carles Pina i Estany <carles@pina.cat> wrote:

>=20
> Hello,
>=20
> On Jan/18/2009, rappard@dds.nl wrote:
>=20

> >> well, same question: are these batteries reliable?
> >> I mean, should I really prefer to spend some time and money searching
> >> for a IBM/Lenovo original battery or I choose in some semi-random shop?
> >
> > Here you go:
> >
> > http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQ_dmptZUKQ5fComputingQ5fLaptopsAccesso=
riesQ5fLaptopBatteries?_nkw=3Dthinkpad+t60+battery&_sacat=3D0&_fromfsb=3D&_=
trksid=3Dm270.l1313&_odkw=3Dthinkpad+t60+battery&_osacat=3D0

> > 171 results right now, at least *one* them has to reliable (and if not,=
=20
> > you can always reverse the PayPal charges). Other than that, you can=20
> > always buy straight from IBM/Lenovo if you really want to be sure.
>=20
> I'm not worried about buying in ebay (I have done it before, for
> example)
>=20
> I'm worried if the batteries that I can buy that are not official from
> Lenovo/IBM will have less quality. Things like:
>=20
> -5200 mAh but they are less...
> -Battery gets hotter
> -More memory effect
> -Battery doesn't give good information to the laptop (battery remaing
> and other information)
> -Gets broken before
> -...
>=20

The one laptop battery I bought some years back from ebay was fine. Bought
locally from a friend who orders them from china and also had no problem.

There are two main issue that can come up,
1. The battery is over rated (says 4000 and its 3000 mAh). Check what is the
expected capacity of the battery you are looking for. If they are rating it
much higher then it's probably a fake (there is a limited capacity the
batteries can have and assume that the manufacturer one almost achieves it)

2. They may be old which means that they will die faster.

On the other hand they can be 30%-50% cheaper. If they are too cheap it's a=
lso
suspicious. Check local prices for replacement batteries. Order from someone
with a lot of reviews.