[ltp] Flaky Suspend with Ubuntu 8.10 on Thinkpad T60

Matthias Bärwolff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:33:26 -0500

Hi,

I have abandoned Gentoo and turned to Ubuntu for my T60 recently. It
mostly works fine out of the box.

However, suspend sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't. Also, it takes
well in excess of 10 seconds to suspend which I find suspicious. I have
played around with various drivers to unload (e.g. fglrx) before
suspending, and services to shut down, but thus far to little avail. The
system seems to be using pm-suspend by default, s2ram is oddly not
available from the standard repositories. I have played around with
hibernate-ram but that didn't work out of the box either (with one or
two obvious changes to the common.conf). The system resumed but was so
slugish as to be unusable until I killed gnome (via ctrl-alt-backspace).

I was thinking of installing a tuxonice kernel (like I had on gentoo),
but I am not particularly enthusiastic about this prospect; after all I
was turning away from Gentoo because I don't have the time anymore to
play around with my system all the time.

Has anyone encountered similar issues and resolved them? I appreciate
your help.

Thanks,
Matthias