[ltp] T60p random hangs (ACPI?)

Mon, 26 Jan 2009 22:03:24 +0000

Dear All,

Has anyone seen weird symptoms similar to the following:

My T60p generally works fine, but after a few hours of use (usually
between 10-30 of uptime), it locks hard, requiring a power-off-reset.

After the reset, I can get to grub just fine, but the system immediately
hangs (black screen, no activity) at the instant that grub exits.
Memtest will run just fine though, as will Linux but ONLY if I add the
acpi=off parameter.

Alternatively, allowing the system to "rest" (with or without AC
charging) for an hour will make it happy again, and it then boots OK.

There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to end the sulk, other than
wait (pulling the battery doesn't help). The machine doesn't seem to be
significantly warm anywhere.

I'm using the VESA driver, so it shouldn't be ATI-related.

The cause of the lockups themselves is unknown - I can't find any
correlation, and often I'm doing nothing at all, or just trying to move
the mouse pointer. Running "nice yes > /dev/null" a few times (to
generate a hot CPU) doesn't trigger the bug.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Richard