[ltp] T60p random hangs (ACPI?)

Tue, 27 Jan 2009 14:17:55 +0000

Adrian Bastholm wrote:
> I've experienced hard hangs with a T60, but none so hard that the system
> needs to rest. I have no clue to what causes these hangs, but almost
> every time, it happened during system configuration of some sort. I
> haven't tried acpi=off but ACPI should work fine on these machines.
>
> Regards,
> Adrian

ACPI does work OK normally, it's only when the machine is sulking that
it doesn't.

Phil Shotton wrote:
 >> Richard
 > I've been using a T60p for the best part of a year now with various
 > Ubuntu distros. Never seen anything like this; the only crashes/hangs
 > I've had have been related to display issues - usually after resume
from  suspend. Mine runs pretty continuously (with regular suspends);
reboots are few and far between.

 > I know this doesn't help you any but it suggests you have a specific
 > issue (probably hardware) rather than a generic t60p problem.

I'm suspecting probably as much. At any rate, it's not the fglrx driver,
  as I once thought, and updating the BIOS doesn't help, and I've had
various distros on it (Ubuntu Edgy, Feisty, and Hardy), all are vulnerable.

Richard

Chris Schumann wrote:

 > I've beed running Fedora on my T60 since I got it in December 2006,and
 > while I've had lockups, the cause was nearly always the video driver.
 > I use the system for days at a time and do not experience these.
 > Just one more data point,
 > Chris

I suspected that too. Some of the crashes in the first few months were
perhaps related to fglrx, but I've been using the vesa driver ever
since, and the crashes haven't gone away! (vertical scrolling is a bit
slow though!)

Thanks everyone for your help.

Richard