[ltp] Head's up: thinkpad-acpi dock/bay handling broken, will be removed

Tue, 7 Jul 2009 13:10:40 -0300

Well, the age of the bay and dock subdrivers of thinkpad-acpi has caught up
with them, and they no longer work properly on 2.6.28 and later, causing the
kernel to OOPS.  Actually, they might be broken on 2.6.27 as well.

Since these two subdrivers have been superseeded by the generic ACPI dock
driver (that also handles ACPI hotswap bays), they will not be fixed (the
fix ain't trivial, either).  They will be _removed_ instead.

So, this is your warning to get your hands dirty and switch to the new dock
driver (and its udev stuff) if you use thinkpad-acpi's bay/dock events.

ThinkWiki has scripts and other stuff to get you started :-)  I am one of
those who will have to revise his bay eject scripts...

Note: you need to use libata and have libata ACPI support enabled, to get
proper eject suport for the bay in the kernel.  I am not aware of any such
functionality for the IDE drivers, but I might be wrong about it since IDE
has seen a lot of cleanups and work lately, to bring it up-to-par with
libata...

  Henrique Holschuh