[ltp] Recommendation for new disk drive

Jochen Schulz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:21:12 +0200

--CdrF4e02JqNVZeln

Joerg Bruehe:
>=20
> 1) Is the recommendation of Seagate Momentus still valid, or have things
> changed? (Thinkwiki lists neither a date nor reasons.)

I found the 7200 RPM Seagate Momentus (160GB) in my X200 to be
surprisingly fast und quiet at the same time. You still can hear the
disk humming in quiet environments, but you do not hear the disk head
crackling like you do on most other disks.

> 2) What are the advantages of the Seagate over other disks?

At least some of the Seagate models include an acceleration sensor which
can be used to park the disk head when the laptop is falling down. But I
am not sure whether your laptop needs to support that somehow. And other
manufacturers have similar sensors.

> 3) Any other hints?

SSDs are nice. :) I just replaced my 160GB disk with an 80GB Intel
X25-m. It appears Intel is releasing newer models soon so even prices
for the 160GB models may became (relatively) "affordable".

J.
--=20
Looking into my eyes is the only way you'll know I'm telling the truth.
[Agree]   [Disagree]

--CdrF4e02JqNVZeln

--CdrF4e02JqNVZeln--