[ltp] Thinkpad SL500 with LED backlight - to buy or not to buy

Per Dalgas Jakobsen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:58:09 +0200

Marcin Trybus wrote:
> I'm considering to retire my aged T23 and get a new laptop. The things I want are Core 2 CPU, anti glare LCD, and a reasonable keyboard layout. I got intrested in SL500 as it's currently on sale, most likely because it ships with VHB that is not eligible for free upgrade to Windows 7. Not that I care.
>
> The laptop is fully Intel based (ingluding GMA 4500MHD) so I hope it will run any Linux without any serious problems. I have doubts about the LED backlight though. It's a reasonably new thing, especially by Lenovo, and I haven't got a single experiences with such screens. I read the backlight may age unevenly. Should I worry, or is this just the way things go? Does this affect battery life in a major way?
>
> Any other things I should know about this model? Any other models I should consider in the price range? I am also taking T61 (not necessarily new) into consideration.

I bought an X301 with LED screen 6 months ago, so I cannot offer any
long-term opinion on the aging issue. I chose an LED screen due to its
brightness - The ability to work outdoors is worth *a lot* to me.
So far I have observed no backlight aging issue.

Hope this helps.

~Per