[ltp] Request some more detailed data on recent thinkpads, T and R Series

Thu, 30 Jul 2009 01:03:29 +0200

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 19:55:33 -0300
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, hollunder@gmx.at wrote:
> > Also important for me is whether the usb buses/ports share
> > interrupts with something else, like graphics, and whether there's
> > a bios option to change that.
>
> Why do you need that information?  What are the constraints in which
> interrupt sharing would make a difference?

Well, I'm into audio, which often requires quite low latencies. When
the audio interface, or the bus it uses, shares an interrupt with say
graphics or networking you have a problem.

> Also, go read about MSI/MSI-X, if you care about this stuff, you need
> to know about message-signaled interrupts.
>
> And SMI and SMM as well, ThinkPads likes to spend some time in
> la-la-land quite ogten, and the OS only knows it happened because the
> hardware timers advanced more than what it would expect while it was
> frozen in a timestop and the CPU was in SMM running SMBIOS code.

This all doesn't tell me a thing, but I'll see if I can find some info
on that.
Thanks