[ltp] powerconsumption X200, X200s, X30x

Erik Vanden linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:58:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

 and thank you very much for this very detailed script.
It made me quite happy to look at your figures and now I am wondering wether
it is written exlusively for the X200 and how it could be adapted to my
X300, using Jaunty. I would really like to test it.

THX,

Erik

EDIT:

I simply tried both, the script and the config. Config gave me a black
screen after booting, only to be repaired by graphics repairs in recovery
mode.

For the script (I hope this is the essential powersaving part), I got the
following return:

xxxx@YYYYY:/etc/pm/power.d$ sudo sh powersave.sh

/dev/sda:
 setting Advanced Power Management level to 0x01 (1)
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD failed: Input/output error
 setting standby to 12 (1 minutes)
powersave.sh: 49: cannot create
/sys/devices/system/cpu/sched_mc_power_savings: Directory nonexistent
powersave.sh: 49: cannot create /sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwlagn/*/power_level:
Directory nonexistent
powersave.sh: 49: mmod: not found
powersave.sh: 59: A: not found
powersave.sh: 60: xxxx: not found

Does someone know how I could get it right (as an additional question to my
one about the X300ness of this tweak)?

Many things are still not clear to me so I
decided to not use laptop-mode-tools and make a powersave file myself,
which I placed in /etc/pm/power.d

Below are powersave.sh and xorg.conf
i use the latest ubuntu version.

With these, I use right now long-term 9.1W, but short-term right now
8.0W and 7.5W shortterm when the disk is off.