[ltp] Re: [Re: Best Linux distro for ThinkPad T61...]

"Karsten König" linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 02 Jun 2009 12:42:27 +0200

> Yves Dorfsman wrote:
>
> Surely, mp3 isn't sufficient reason to choose Ubuntu.  OpenSuse includes a
> variety of open source and proprietary mp3 software.
>
> I don't know what world you're in.  By not supporting LSB, Ubuntu makes
> difficulties for a fair amount of commercial as well as free software.

openSUSE mp3 decoder is fluendo gstreamer, which had to be dropped for the next release (fluendo wasn't specific about the reason last time I checked), but I don't see that as a problem, most Fedora and openSUSE users add their respective 3rd party addon repository "RPM Fusion" for Fedora or "Packman" for openSUSE, a simple update will then allow you mp3 playback and everything else you might need what is encumbered with legal issues.

I am using openSUSE 11.1 on my T400 and it's running pretty nice, things that are important to me like KDE and virtualbox can be updated by using the buildservice, so there is also not much pressure to jump to the most bleeding edge distribution.
But that's personal taste, most distributions hardware support is more or less equal, so any current distribution should be fine.
Ubuntu 9.04 does have a quite problematic intel video driver though, so maybe use an earlier release in case you want ubuntu.

Karsten