[ltp] Is this hard drive dead??

Stuart Friedman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 3 Jun 2009 21:08:10 -0400

--001636c5c2dacdebf1046b7b68ad

T43 2687-D4Uwith a Seagate Momentus 160 gb hard drive and Fedora 10 the only
OS on board. Working fine for about two months until a few weeks ago when I
went to POST and then faced with a blinking cursor in the top left hand of
the screen. Took the drive out, put it into an external USB housing and
booted inot Windows on the original 40gb drive.

When I explore to the Seagate I am told that the format is RAW and that
there is nothing on the drive. I manage to recover needed documents from it
but now want to either send the d rive back for replacement or format and
install a new OS. If I sned it back I need to somehow remive the data that
is on it ( recovered it after all) but is not accessible by normal means.
How could i do that if the verdict is that it is a bad drive BTW, I ran
Seagate Tools and it told me the drive was fine.

If the drive is OK, how do I  get an OS on it. Preferably, I would like XP
and Fedora in it as I now have some work that requires XP. Most of the dual
boot options I see have the XP on first, but I assume there is a way to do
it with Fedroa and then XP. SO far, Iahvent' found a way to get XP on it
(this is probably the wrong place for this part of the query), I have
recovery disks and a slip streamed XP SP 3 disk.

Any suggestions

--
Stuart Friedman
13 Terrace St.

--001636c5c2dacdebf1046b7b68ad

T43 2687-D4U<div>with a Seagate Momentus 160 gb hard drive and Fedora 10 th=
e only OS on board. Working fine for about two months until a few weeks ago=
 when I went to POST and then faced with a blinking cursor in the top left =
hand of the screen. Took the drive out, put it into an external USB housing=
 and booted inot Windows on the original 40gb drive.</div>

 is RAW and that there is nothing on the drive. I manage to recover needed =
documents from it but now want to either send the d rive back for replaceme=
nt or format and install a new OS. If I sned it back I need to somehow remi=
ve the data that is on it ( recovered it after all) but is not accessible b=
y normal means. How could i do that if the verdict is that it is a bad driv=
e BTW, I ran Seagate Tools and it told me the drive was fine.</div>

ably, I would like XP and Fedora in it as I now have some work that require=
s XP. Most of the dual boot options I see have the XP on first, but I assum=
e there is a way to do it with Fedroa and then XP. SO far, Iahvent&#39; fou=
nd a way to get XP on it (this is probably the wrong place for this part of=
 the query), I have recovery disks and a slip streamed XP SP 3 disk.</div>

--001636c5c2dacdebf1046b7b68ad--