[ltp] What does blinking CapsLk light means...

Patrick Wiseman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 9 Jun 2009 21:47:22 -0400

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Henrique de Moraes
Holschuh<hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Jun 2009, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Petar Milin<pmilin@ff.uns.ac.rs> wrote:
>> > Hello ALL!
>> > Recently, I have reported some instabilities on my T61 running
>> > Debian/testing, both here and on Debian user forum. Now, I am experien=
cing
>> > something new: blinking CapsLk light. It starts to blink, and everythi=
ng is
>> > frozen. Then, I need to press and hold power-button to turn off my lap=
top,
>> > and then, after few seconds, to turn it on.
>> > I do not know what does this means, but it looks a bit frightening.
>> > Please, help! Is this dangerous?!?
>>
>> Are you using Network Manager? =A0Several people on the debian user list
>> have reported the same phenomenon, and traced it to that package
>
> If you can reproduce it without any properietary drivers loaded in the
> kernel, please file a bug on bugzilla.kernel.org. =A0There is NO WAY user=
space
> should crash the kernel, it is always a bug, often one with security
> relevance.

I have long since filed a bug against the version of Network Manager
which appeared to be causing the problem, but it's evidently very hard
to track down.  Lots of others reported the same behavior, but I
haven't seen it now in several weeks.  And it was not easy to
reproduce, as it seemed fairly random.  The principal evidence was
that there were always repeated attempts to connect to wifi as the
last entry in syslog before the crash.

Patrick